No Free Rides (Episode)
|No Free Rides|
|Airdate:||7 March 2001|
|Next Episode:||I'm Your Biggest Fanatic|
|SpongeBob SquarePants||Tom Kenny|
- Mrs. Puff
- Father SquarePants
- Mother SquarePants
- Bikini Bottom Police Force
This is SpongeBob's last driving exam for the year, and as usual, he performs very poorly. He earns a score of 6, while he needs 600 to pass the test. SpongeBob is excited because he has to spend another year at boating school. Mrs. Puff does not want this to happen, so she gives SpongeBob a bogus extra-credit assignment so she can be rid of SpongeBob forever. After that, she gives him his driver's license. She considers the consequences, which are potentially quite chaotic. At her house, there is a surprise party for her. SpongeBob's parents give him a new boat-mobile, and then they went straight to SpongeBob's house. After his parents had left, SpongeBob then sneaks out of his bedroom and sleeps inside his new boat mobile, then Mrs. Puff attempts to steal it. She does not realize that SpongeBob is in it. Mrs. Puff tries to get rid of him, but SpongeBob does not want his brand new boat to be stolen. Later she was then caught by the police and Mrs. Puff was then sent to jail.
- This episode's convoluted plot owes much to the surrealistic films of David Lynch.
- The scene where the boat jumps and goes straight into the police car, it is making a spoof of The Dukes of Hazard where General Lee makes jumps and is being chased by the police.
- SpongeBob says that the radio station is K-R-U-D, which is pronounced, "crud". K-R-U-D is a real radio station in Hawaii.
- The accident company has the same phone number as the The Strangler (555-1234).
- On YTV airings of this episode, SpongeBob says "With all your personal 'You won't get away with stealing my car!' hits.", but the captions say "With all your personal-- You won't get away with stealing my car!".
- This episode is seen breaking the fourth wall when the narrator gets hit by SpongeBob during the driving test.
- When Ms. Puff gives SpongeBob his driver's license, he licks it and comments "It tastes just like I dreamt it would." This is an obvious reference to the episode "Sleepy Time" in which he dreams he holds a drivers license and licks it.
- When SpongeBob is being grated (by cheese graters) His eyes come out the graters twice.
- Mrs. Puff does not need help being deflated.
- SpongeBob's unicycle was never seen again after this episode. It only appeared once before in Boating School.
- When Mrs. Puff yells "Extra Credit" and runs to SpongeBob with his unicycle and she leads him back into the classroom, the unicycle disappears.
- When Mrs. Puff imagines the news report after SpongeBob’s first drive, it says 'Live' but at the end of the report, when SpongeBob runs over the reporter, the reporter says "let's not use that take."
- When SpongeBob gives Boaty his socks and jumps on to Boaty he still has his socks on, but he already gave his socks to Boaty, but he might given Boaty another pair of socks.
- Near the beginning of the episode, a flag is flying at the boating school that is very similar to the national flag Belarus had from independence in 1991, to 1992.
- Mrs. Puff says "No. Not again." after saying that she should move away and start a new boating school because she thinks SpongeBob will destroy the town, suggesting she has given 'extra credit' to a student like SpongeBob before.
|← Season 1 Season 2 Season 3 →|